Thursday, July 2, 2015

Delacroix Leather to Google: hey, we're over here!

Hi! You've reached our blog page. If you were looking for our business website, please go to:
www.delacroixleather.com


If you were looking for the blog, fear not- you've come to the right place. Kick off your shoes and stay awhile. :-)




--


I did a search on my own company, Delacroix Leather, and found... this blog site. Yes, my company keeps a blog but the blog only matters if you know about the company website... where you can actually see our products.


What to do, what to do?


I know! Mortgage the farm, hire an SEO optimization consultant and keep my fingers crossed that when someone searches for the company, they'll find it.

Hahahahahaha. What, you think I was born yesterday? Consultants (rolls eyes).



I'm certain, given enough time, Google will get things straight. We're new and it'll just take a while before our company ranks above, well, you don't want to know some of the crazy stuff that comes up when you type in our business name.


I guess the reason I'm typing this post is because how peculiar it feels being tied to one search engine when a big part of existing, through a customer's eyes, is being found in a search- through one search engine. I like google, but I'll be honest, the monopoly aspect they have at this point is a little troubling.

I don't know if anyone recalls the Microsoft monopoly problem from a few years back. Microsoft wanted to ship all MS OS machines with Internet Explorer on them- not a bad thing when you're the makers of Internet Explorer, but could be damaging if you provide another web browser competing with them. Personally, I miss Netscape.

Anyway, while that might have affected the businesses involved in the dispute, it really didn't affect the user so the issue kind of fell off the radar with the public. But let's look at something that does affect users: Adobe.

Adobe makes great stuff. If you've ever opened a document with Acrobat, thank Adobe. Adobe's big contribution to the web (well, they have many, but this one stands out) is 'Flash'. Flash allowed video content like no other. The only problem is, one company owned it and every bit of software related to it. Apple didn't like this, hence my iPad doesn't play flash videos. At the time Jobs made the decision to exclude Flash from iPads, I thought, 'aren't we being a little paranoid?'

And then, one day, I needed vector design software. Have you ever used any? If you do, you quickly find there are a handful of software companies that make it but one that just dominates the market: Adobe.

Adobe Photoshop: same thing.

Photoshop and InDesign aren't cheap, but they're good products. Normally, that's about as far as a monopoly takes their product- they control the price and stick it to you. 

But imagine this. Imagine a world where everyone in an industry uses only one brand and the company decides they no longer wish to sell you their product? What if they decide they will now lease their product to you and anything you've created using that product can't be opened unless you stick to the lease?

What I've described is present-day Adobe. Perhaps Jobs wasn't to paranoid after all.


I'm starting to feel this way about Google. They're a terrific company now. What they've done and continue to do is absolutely amazing. But, they're the only game in town. Sorry Bing, it's true.

Just as a pleasant side, if you've ever wondered where the phrase 'the only game in town' comes from:

 A guy with a gambling addiction loses his shirt every night in a poker game. Somebody tells him that the game is crooked, rigged to send him to the poorhouse. And he says, haggardly, ''I know, I know. But it’s the only game in town.''


So, hopefully people will be able to find my site. I guess for now they'll have to type in the full name in the web address. I'd like to find a better way for them to reach me but Google doesn't rank the company site above the blog site. I'd find another search engine to help with this, but I use Google because... well, it's the only game in town.


-Chris
www.delacroixleather.com

No comments:

Post a Comment